NE 315 Energy Systems and Resources
- Prepare a report on the advantages and disadvantages of the following types of nuclear reactors.
- PWR (Pressurized light water reactors)
- BWR (Boiling water reactors)
- CANDU (Heavy water reactors)
- SFR (Sodium-cooled fast reactors)
- VHTR (Very high temperature reactors)
- Somewhere in your report include, as an example of the fission products produced, an analysis of Kr-85 production which is one of the most common gaseous fission products. As a part of this analysis, include a plot of the number of atoms of Kr-85 as they decay over a 10-year period. Kr-85 has a half-life of 10.76 years.
- Choose two reactor types from among the available Gen-IV and SMR reactor concepts which you personally believe would be the best options for the future expansion of nuclear power in the U.S. and support your opinions.
- Discuss as an issue the management of spent nuclear fuel. Identify and support what you believe the choice of policy makers should be, what you believe the preference of the general public will likely be, and what your personal opinion is on this issue.