· Paper must be in proper MLA format (see flyer on MLA posted in week four)
· Must be a minimum of five pages in length
· Should have some outside research, but the thesis of the paper should be your own
- In The Great Gatsby, Is Fitzgerald writing a love story that embraces American ideals, or a satire that comments on American ideals? Use examples from the text to back up your thesis.
- In The Great Gatsby, at the end of Chapter 3, Nick says: “I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.” When you consider his role as narrator, do you believe that he is honest? Are his depictions of others honest? If he is not honest, why does he believe he is so honest? Use examples from the text to back up your argument.
- Discuss the various types of discrimination that are present in To Kill a Mockingbird. Give examples of each type. Tie your thesis of why these discriminations occur to the historical and cultural information on the PowerPoints and other documentation of the 1930s and 1950s.
- The town of Maycomb is described in great detail in To Kill a Mockingbird, so much so that the reader gets the sense that Maycomb is more than a setting; it takes on the weight and importance of a character. Write an expository or persuasive essay on To Kill a Mockingbird in which you describe Maycomb and explain its significance with respect to the events and meaning of the novel. Be sure to dig beneath the surface: it’s easy to say that Maycomb is a Southern town and that certain social dynamics—such as racism—shape the characters and their circumstances, but there are also more subtle characteristics about the town that exert influence over the novel’s outcome. Finally, consider whether Maycomb is changed by the conclusion. It shapes people and events, but it is also shaped by its inhabitants and their actions.
- In I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Marguerite accomplished many things in the short time Angelou records for us. Which accomplishments do you think are most meaningful to her? Explain each and why it was important.Marguerite accomplished many things in the short time Angelou records for us. Which accomplishments do you think are most meaningful to her? Explain each and why it was important.Maya accomplished many things in the short time recorded. Which accomplishments do you think are the most meaningful to her? Explain each and why it was important, arriving at the most important accomplishment which you will state in your thesis. Use examples from the resources to back up your assertions.