For this assignment, you will take on the role of a Human Resource Manager for a mid-size company. Thad, an employee, has come to you to inquire about FMLA. He is requesting for a leave of absence under FMLA to care for his adult child who is seeking treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. Thad is unsure how often he will need time off, but does tell you initially that he will need one to two days a week for six weeks. Thad has worked at the company for four years consecutively as a full-time employee. Based on the above scenario,
- Explain the purpose of FMLA.
- Examine the eligibility requirements of FMLA.
- Compare and contrast both the employee’s and employer’s rights and responsibilities under FMLA.
- Analyze whether or not FMLA applies to Thad’s situation, providing a rationale for your decision.
- Draft an excerpt for your company’s HR policy and manual concerning FMLA as the current policy does not address it.
The Rights and Responsibilities Under FMLA Paper
- Must be four to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.